Copyright : Charles Shawibulum | Sed vulputate

Contact Information


Mrs S.M. Elliot


Tel : 07734 887761

Email : suelliott60@sky.com

Meetings held at - Cossall Community Hall, Church Lane, Cossall, Nottinghamshire, NG16 2RW


Meetings held on - 3rd Tuesday in the month at 7.30pm - no meetings in August and December


Cossall Parish Council

St Catherine's Church Cossall

  

The Church at Cossall is dedicated to Saint Catherine, a native of Alexandria, she was both beautiful and learned. The Emporer Maximain was very much attracted to her, but because she refused his attentions he ordered her to be tortured. She survived the torture but was then beheaded and buried on Mount Sinain.

The church is quite small and stands at a tight bend in the hilltop village. The entrance to the churchyard is through a traditional lychgate built as a memorial in 1928.

The original nave and chancel were built in the 13th Century with arcades built later. The south side in the 14th Century but the north side appears to be part of the 1842 alterations. There were alterations in 1718, but there were major changes in 1842-43. It is recorded that the cost was borne by the vicar the Rev Francis Hewgill. Cossall was a parochial chapelry annexed to Wollaton and Rev Hewgill was Rector of Wollaton. The church was annexed to Wollaton until 1947.  


Cossall Colliery- From its sinking in 1870 until closure in 1966 it was very much a conventional colliery with upcast and downcast shafts. Nearby Oakwood Grange Colliery (sunk circa 1937) was a drift mine. Around 1956 the two collieries were amalgamated, with the Oakwood Grange coals being brought to the surface via a new drift at Cossall Colliery. Cossall Colliery had a brickette works. The tip later became, for some time, a ski slope.
In 1923 the annual output of coal was 240,000 tons. By 1933 Cossall coal was used for Gas, Household and Steam. Pyrites was also mined at the pit and 200 tons of Cossall Colliery Company diamond Briquettes were made each day. The Brickyard made 10,000 bricks per day.



  History